MARNATON eDreams 2020 Relays regulation
We must remind all participants of the importance of respecting the environment around us at all times, and therefore helping to protect it.
MARNATON requests everyone’s cooperation in leaving no trace of our presence behind and, after the event, to leave the area in a better condition than we found it.
As an open water swimmer you respect and protect the environment.
- Requirements for participants
- It is possible for individuals of any nationality to participate, irrespective of whether they are members of clubs.
- Event authorized for people born from 2006.
- Underage participants should contact the organization and provide the following documentation: permission from a parent or guardian and a brief background of your sporting activity signed by a swim coach which shows that you are prepared for the event. When the documents have been submitted, the organization will use technical criteria to decide whether or not to authorize the participation of the minor.
- You must have successfully completed all of the steps and met all of the requirements for signing up.
- Accept the disclaimer and declaration of physical fitness which appear on the registration form.
- All the information required in the registration process must be true. The organization won’t be held responsible of falsehoods or errors that the participant might do at the time of registration.
- Registration for the event is personal and non-transferable and implies the acceptance of these rules.
The registration will only be possible through Marnaton’s web page (www.marnaton.com).
Teams will be made up of a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 participants.
Registration deadline: until 10 days before the date of the event or upon reaching the limit of 100 teams.
- Accident insurance.
- Medical assistance during the journey (vessels with Rescue Staff) and upon arrival (field hospital with Medical Staff).
- Refreshment station upon arrival.
- Swimming cap for the event.
- 1 chip for team.
- T-shirt of the event (if the swimmer is subscribed also in the individual event and has subscribed using the reduced price offer will only have one t-shirt).
- Chip ranking and timing.
- Medals for the first team of each category.
- Management of withdrawals: The organization offers the participant the possibility of hiring a cancellation insurance during the registration process. In case of not contracting this insurance there won’t be any devolution in any case, including injuries, accidents, trips…etc.
- Changing of name: The organization offers a service for changing the name of a subscription for a 10€ fee to cover the paperwork until 20 days before the beginning.
- Change to challenge: Under no circumstance will we allow changes from one challenge to another, nor from this year or the following edition. The organization will offer all participants the possibility of having 50% of the registration fee repaid if they are unable to attend the next date specified by the organization.
- Cancellation of the challenge: if the organization has to cancel the challenge or change the course or timings due to adverse conditions or force majeure beyond its control, in no event will the registration fee be refunded. The event will not be postponed to another date nor will participants be refunded their registration fee.
- Maximum number of places: the organisation keeps 25 places for its commitments to sponsors and partners. The organisation reserves the right to increase or reduce the number of places for safety reasons or other reasons which may affect the smooth running of the race. In any event, any changes which be announced well in advance on the website and social networks.
- It is compulsory to use the chip to participate in the event
- The chip can only be provided by the organization. Yellow chips will not be accepted.
- Chips will act as witnesses in the moment of relay. Therefore, each team will have only one chip that will mark the different runs of each member
- If a participant loses his/her chip, he/she will not appear in the rankings even if he/she provides evidence and/or visual material showing his/her position and time. Nor will he/she have the right to overall or category prizes. No claims will be accepted in this respect.
- It is compulsory for participants to place the chip on their ankle.
- Collection of bib numbers
- To collect the number, at least one of the members of the team will be required to show the ID card, PASSPORT or NIF.
- Together with the number, you will also be given: 4 swim caps of the event, 1 chip per team, t-shirt of the event (only for the members that have not participated in the individual event), WetBag wardrobe.
The swimmer must use the Wet Bag, identified with their bib number, which the organization will provide for them to keep their personal belongings. The Wet Bag must be left at the designated point before the start of the race.
To retrieve their bag, which is looked after by the event organizers near to the finish, the swimmer must show their cap and their bib number.
The bags in the cloakroom will be watched over at all times. The organization will not be held responsible for the misplacement or loss of the swimmers’ personal belongings. To prevent this from happening, please do not place any valuable items in the cloakroom bags which the swimmers have to leave on the beach.
- Compulsory technical equipment
All participants are obliged to wear the following items, which may be checked at the starting point and/or any point of the race.
- Swimming suit.
- Swimming goggles.
- Cap provided by the organization with your bib number.
- Chip provided by the organization and correctly placed (ankle).
Additionally, the organization advises that you also bring the following items:
- Vaseline or oil to avoid abrasion.
- Sun-cream, preferably anti-jellyfish.
The organization may add more compulsory items which are not included in this section. In that event, participants will be given plenty of warning via the website or an email.
There will be a point of chip and timing control at the starting line and another one at the finish of each lap. A failure to step on the mat at either of the points will result in disqualification.
- Route and Buoys
The organization will place buoys at every 200m of the route, adding additional signs at the more difficult points which are harder to navigate. The swimmers must always swim between the buoys and the coast, to guarantee their safety.
So that the event runs smoothly, the organization reserves the right to fully and/or partially change where it places the buoys, in the event of currents and/or the wind making it necessary to change the original route. You will be informed of these changes beforehand, in the briefing.
- Support Vessels and Kayaks
The swimmers will be monitored from kayaks and support vessels, to ensure their safety.
At all times the swimmers must follow the line of kayaks which will guide them throughout the crossing.
All kayaks are marked with brightly-coloured lifejackets attached to help the swimmers to swim in the right direction.
The motorized support vessels, marked with a BLUE flag, will supervise the event, but always from a safe distance. There will be general-purpose support vessels to cover safety during the crossing, and vessels which have medically-trained crews; these are marked with a WHITE flag with a RED CROSS.
There will be liquid and food provisioning at the end of the event.
If a Participant decides to withdraw, we recommend:
- Requesting help by lifting one or both arms.
- The closest Kayak will assist you while you wait to be picked up.
The organization reserves the right to force the swimmer to withdraw from the event:
- Whenever a swimmer shows signs of extreme tiredness, dehydration, hypothermia, is swimming at an extremely slow pace or has any abnormal symptoms which prevent them from swimming normally.
- If the swimmer fails to comply with any of the regulations which govern these rules (see section on Disqualifications)
- When the obligatory cut-off time at the start of each event has passed.
In the event of adverse conditions and/or force majeure, the organization will be forced to cancel the event and evacuate all participants.
If a participant has to be evacuated, the organization will establish one or more points of evacuation with medical assistance depending on the itinerary.
|TYPE OF FAULT
|Disposing of rubbish in unauthorized areas or any kind of behaviour which does not respect the natural environment
|Unsporting behaviour towards other athletes or the organization
|Lack of compulsory equipment
|Participating in the event without having signed up
|Expulsion and a ban on participating in future events
|Participating with someone else’s bib number
|Not passing the obligatory chip control points
(starting point, end point, mid-point if any)
|Not following the route marked out by the organization
|Failure to assist another person
|Withdrawal without informing the organization of your withdrawal
||Ban on participating in future events
|Not following orders from stewards or medical staff
|Climbing into a support vessel, kayak or refreshment boat
|Exceeding the maximum permitted swimming time
||Disqualification and should give up the event in a boat of the organization
The organization reserves the right to penalize any form of behaviour not contained on the above list of faults which violates the provisions of these rules.
- Change to the route(s) and/or suspension of the crossing.
For reasons of force majeure beyond its control, the organization reserves the right to suspend, divert, neutralize or change the event’s time slots and/or courses and refreshments. (See PDF of alternative plans).
This decision will be taken by a technical committee, agreeing with maritime authorities taking into account safety. As well as respecting the conditions to which the permits are subject.
They can be reason for plan B or cancellation:
- Wave of a significant height of more than 0.8 meters.
- Winds of more than 15 knots .(no gusts). Whenever the direction of the wind affects the route.
- Visibility less than one nautical mile.
- Jellyfish plague.
- Electrical storm.
- Any other reason that the organization believes that does not guarantee the safety of the participants or the security measures.
- Ranking System
When the event is over, the teams will have half an hour for possible changes to and/or disputes over the ranking before prizes are awarded.
Each team will be ranked based on the time taken by the team to complete 8 laps of the circuit. It is not compulsory to establish an order of laps or for all members to carry out the same number of laps. They must simply complete 8 laps based on the strategy that best suits each team. Therefore, if one member wants to carry out 5 laps and the other 3 members only 1 each, that will be valid given that the 8 laps have been completed.
Trophies will be given to the first team of each category.
The category trophies and medals will only be collected during the event’s awards ceremony.
- Female (all participants must be women)
- Male Teams (all participants must be men)
- Mixed Teams (there must be at least one member of each gender)
- Non-Wetsuit Teams (all participants take part without a wetsuit, whatever their gender). Flotation material or full-body swimsuits are not permitted.
- Corporate (all members must work at the same company).
- Families (at least 3 of the members must be related).
- Disclaimer and Declaration of Physical Fitness
- Registering for the event implies the participant’s acceptance of the rules and that they are properly prepared for the crossing, being aware of the severe weather conditions which can be found in the area where the race is being held. Consequently, the participant holds harmless the organisation for any possible health problems which may arise as a result of their participation in the race.
- Participants registered in the event understand that they are taking part in the competition voluntarily and at their own risk and, therefore, they release the Organisers of the event of all liabilities and agree not to bring any cases against the organizers, partners, sponsors and other participants, or to make any claim of civil liability against the foregoing parties. For this purpose, when registering, the participant must tick the box to accept the disclaimer to complete their registration.
- The organization recommends that all swimmers do a 3000m test in a swimming pool. Ideally this will be completed in less than 60 minutes, and no more than 70, to be able to successfully complete the crossing.
- The organization does not recommend participating in the event if the result of the 3000m test in the swimming pool is a time over 70 minutes.
- Changes to the rules
If the organization considers it to be necessary, it may change these rules. Due notice of the changes will be given to the participants. Registration implies acknowledgement and acceptance of these rules.
- Image rights
The organizing body reserves the right to use any type of photograph, film or recording that it takes, as long as it is related to participation in the event. The organizing body exclusively reserves the right over the image of the MARNATON challenges, as well as of the audio-visual, photographic and journalistic exploitation of the competition.
In accordance with the provisions of article 21 of Law 34/2002 on Information Society Services and Electronic Commerce (Servicios de la Sociedad de la Información y el Comercio Electrónico), we request your consent to carry out marketing communications which we consider may be of interest to you, by email or by any any other method of equivalent electronic communication.
Any media or marketing project will have to have the organization’s prior express consent in writing. Otherwise, all legal actions will be taken that are considered to be relevant.
- Data protection
Data protection. In compliance with the provisions of the General Ruling of Data Protection 976/2016, MM MARNATON 2008 S.L. (hereinafter referred to as MARNATON) with Tax Identification Code: B64835390, informs you that the personal data that you provided on the registration form on the website: www.marnaton.com is incorporated into an automated file which MARNATON is responsible for; the purpose of this file is to administer and manage your participation in the event.
In any case, you may withdraw your consent at any given time and exercise your rights of access, rectification, cancellation and objection, by writing for this purpose to MARNATON using the email address email@example.com.