MARNATON BIG SWIM (+ 20km) Regulation
The MARNATON eDreams events are held in exceptional, natural coastal environments, with some sections being part of a Natural Park and/or Nature Reserve. We must remind all participants of the importance of respecting the environment around us at all times, and therefore helping to protect it.
MARNATON requests everyone’s cooperation in leaving no trace of our presence behind and, after the event, to leave the area in a better condition than we found it.
As an open water swimmer you respect and protect the environment.
- Requirements for participants
- It will be mandatory to register in one of the three modalities: solo, couples or teams/relays.
- Individuals of any nationality may take part, federated or not, who are in good health and who have undertaken the appropriate training to take part in the challenge.
- Event authorized for people over the age of 18, from 2003.
- You must know and accept the conditions of these rules.
- You must have successfully completed all of the steps and met all of the requirements for signing up.
- Accept the disclaimer and declaration of physical fitness which appear on the registration form.
- All the information required in the registration process must be true. The organization won’t be held responsible of falsehoods or errors that the participant might do at the time of registration.
- Registration for the event is personal and non-transferable and implies the acceptance of these rules.
You can only register via the Marnaton website at (www.marnaton.com)
- Closing date for registration: up to 10 days to the date of the event or when the maximum number of participants has been reached.
- It includes:
- Accident insurance.
- Medical assistance during the journey (vessels with Rescue staff) and upon arrival (Field hospital with Medical staff).
- Provisioning during the swim and at the end.
- Transfer from the Finish point to the Starting point.
- Swimming cap for the event.
- Event t-shirt.
- Chip ranking and timing.
- Trophies for absolute winners.
- Withdrawal management: The organization makes available to the participant the possibility of contracting a cancellation guarantee during the registration process. In case of not hiring it, no refund will be made in any case, including injuries, accidents, travel, etc.
- Change of name: will only be admitted up to 20 days before the test. The organization will charge € 10 for this management.
- Change of event: Under no circumstances will changes from one registration of one test to another be accepted, neither from this year nor the next edition.
- Cancellation of the event: if due to adverse conditions or force majeure outside the organization, it is obliged to cancel the the event or modify the route or schedules, the registration fee will not be refunded in any case. The organization may propose a new date for the event..
- Collection of swimmers bag
- To collect their bib number, the participant will need to show their ID CARD, PASSPORT or TAX ID CARD (original or photocopy).
- The collection of the number will be the day before the event, and not the same day.
The swimmer must use the Bag, identified with their bib number, which the organisation will provide for them to keep their personal belongings. The Wet Bag must be left at the designated point before the start of the race.
To retrieve their bag, which is looked after by the event organisers near to the finish, the swimmer must show their cap and their bib number.
The bags in the cloakroom will be watched over at all times. The organisation will not be held responsible for the misplacement or loss of the swimmers’ personal belongings. To prevent this from happening, please do not place any valuable items in the cloakroom bags which the swimmers have to leave on the beach.
Swimmers will travel between the finish line and the starting point on buses and/or boats. The transport timetables will be published and reported well in advance on the website.
- Compulsory equipment
All participants are obliged to wear the following items, which may be checked at the starting point and/or any point of the race.
- Swimming suit.
- Swimming goggles.
- Cap provided by the organization with your bib number.
- Swimming wetsuits are highly recommended. However, participants may swim without wetsuits if they submit the following form (PDF) showing that they are able to swim for 4 hours without a wetsuit in water of below 17ºC. They must submit the form (PDF) when they collect their swimmer’s bag.
- If the water temperature is below 17ºC the organization reserves the right to enforce the use of wetsuits or to place any swimmers who are not wearing a wetsuit on the short swims.
- Buoy: permitted.
Additionally, the organization advises that you also bring the following items:
- Vaseline or oil to avoid abrasion.
- Sun-cream, preferably anti-jellyfish.
The organization may add more compulsory items which are not included in this section. In that event, participants will be given plenty of warning via the website or an email.
- Starting Point
There will be only one start. All swimmer that arrives late to the start won’t be able to participate. He or she will automatically be disqualified.
- here will be a single start at 8:00 a.m. from Platja Gran de Cadaqués.There will be 3 modalities:
- SOLO. The participant will swim individually the entire course. Accompanied at all times by a kayak that will give you the refreshments and guide you.
- COUPLES. Couples (2 swimmers) will swim the entire course together, without separating more than 5 meters from each other. Accompanied at all times by a kayak that will provide refreshments and guide you.
- TEAM / RELAYS. There may be a maximum of 4 swimmers, regardless of the minimum. It is not necessary for all of them to complete the entire course. But it is essential that there is always at least one member of the team swimming. Accompanied at all times by a boat that will provide refreshments and guide them.
The rhythm of swimming is free throughout the tour. Establishing step limits every 5 km for a maximum of 24 ’/ km (including stops).
The kayaks and boats will go with a phone to have direct contact with the shore team for any setback that may arise.
The kayak or boat will not be separated more than 15 meters from the swimmer.
The kayak or boat will be equipped with a geolocator to have its position at all times in case of emergency.
There will be 4 categories for the solo modality: Female with neoprene, female without neoprene, male with neoprene and male without neoprene.
There will be 4 categories for couples: Mixed couples, male couples, female couples and couples without wetsuits.
There will only be one classification for the team/relay mode.
In the event that a swimmer of the solo or couples modality gets on the boat, he will be automatically disqualified. But in the case of the couples mode, your partner can continue even out of the contest.
The members of each team must swim in a grouped manner, not being able to separate more than 5 meters between the swimmer who leads the group and the one who closes it.
- Route and Buoys
The organization will NOT mark the course, being the kayak or guide boat the one that guides the swimmer.
For the good development of the race, the organization reserves the right to modify the course of a swimmer if it considers that it is endangering its integrity or that of other members of the course, or if it considers that it is not complying with the regulatory distance. The decision of the judges on the boats will be indisputable and can generate a claim once the test is over.
- Support vessels and kayaks
Swimmers will be guarded by rescue boats in order to ensure the safety of swimmers.
The organization will facilitate the provisioning, which will consist of water, isotonic drinks, bananas and gels.
Each guide kayak or vessel will be in charge of supplying said refreshment to the swimmer or swimmers whenever they request it or through an agreed guideline before starting.
If the swimmer has special needs at the nutrition level, he can load the product he considers as long as it does not exceed 2kg in total.
Swimmers may not get on the kayak or be towed by it, but they will be able to lean on it to stretch, adjust their glasses or refresh themselves.
In no case may the participant throw the packaging or packaging of the supplies into the sea. Said act will be penalized with disqualification.
If a Participant decides to withdraw, we recommend:
- Communicate it to the kayaker, who will call the nearest vessel to proceed to evacuation.
The organization reserves the right to force the swimmer to withdraw from the event:
- Whenever a swimmer shows signs of extreme tiredness, dehydration, hypothermia, is swimming at an extremely slow pace or has any abnormal symptoms which prevent them from swimming normally.
- If the swimmer fails to comply with any of the regulations which govern these rules (see section on Disqualifications)
- When the obligatory cut-off time at the start of each event has passed.
In the event of adverse conditions and/or force majeure, the organisation will be forced to cancel the event and evacuate all participants.
In the case that a participant has to be evacuated, the organization will establish one or more points of evacuations with medical assistance depending on the course.
|TYPE OF FAULT
|Disposing of rubbish in unauthorised areas or any kind of behaviour which does not respect the natural environment
|Unsporting behaviour towards other athletes or the organization
|Lack of compulsory equipment
|Participating in the event without having signed up
|Expulsion and a ban on participating in future events
|Participating with someone else’s bib number
|Not passing the obligatory chip control points
(starting point, end point, mid-point if any)
Time penalties will be decided depending on the seriousness of the infringement.
|Not following the route marked out by the organization
|Failure to assist another person
|Withdrawal without informing the organization of your withdrawal
||Ban on participating in future events
|Not following orders from stewards or medical staff
|Climbing into a support vessel, kayak or refreshment boat
|Exceeding the maximum permitted swimming time
||Disqualification and should give up the event in a boat of the organization
The organization reserves the right to penalize any form of behaviour not contained on the above list of faults which violates the provisions of these rules.
- Change to the route(s) and/or suspension of the crossing.
For reasons of force majeure beyond its control, the organization reserves the right to suspend, divert, neutralize or change the event’s time slots and/or courses and refreshments. (See PDF of alternative plans).
This decision will be taken by a technical committee, agreeing with maritime authorities taking into account safety. As well as respecting the conditions to which the permits are subject.
They can be reason for plan B or cancellation:
- Wave of a significant height of more than 0.8 meters.
- Winds of more than 15 knots .(no gusts). Whenever the direction of the wind affects the route.
- Visibility less than one nautical mile.
- Jellyfish plague.
- Electrical storm.
- Any other reason that the organization believes that does not guarantee the safety of the participants or the security measures.
- Ranking System
At the end of the event, the participants will have half an hour before the awards ceremony for possible modifications and/or claims about the classification.
In the SOLO modality the participant will be classified based on the time elapsed from the moment of starting to crossing the finish line.
In pairs and teams/relays, it will be classified based on the time taken to reach the goal of the last of the components.
This event is not scoring for the Cup.
In the SOLO category, the first classified in each category will receive a trophy.
- Female with wetsuit
- Female without wetsuit
- Male with wetsuit
- Male without wetsuit
In the COUPLES category, the first classified couple in each category will receive a trophy.
- Mixed couple (woman + man)
- Female couple (2 women)
- Male couple (2 men)
- Couple without wetsuit (2 swimmers without wetsuit)
In the TEAMS / REALYS category, the first classified team will receive a trophy.
- Disclaimer and Declaration of Physical Fitness
- Registering for the event implies the participant’s acceptance of the rules and that they are properly prepared for the crossing, being aware of the severe weather conditions which can be found in the area where the race is being held. Consequently, the participant holds harmless the organization for any possible health problems which may arise as a result of their participation in the race.
- Participants registered in the event understand that they are taking part in the competition voluntarily and at their own risk and, therefore, they release the Organizers of the event of all liabilities and agree not to bring any cases against the organizers, partners, sponsors and other participants, or to make any claim of civil liability against the foregoing parties. For this purpose, when registering, the participant must tick the box to accept the disclaimer to complete their registration.
- The organization recommends that all swimmers do a 3000 m test in a swimming pool. Ideally this will be completed in less than 60 minutes, and no more than 70, to be able to successfully complete the crossing.
- The organization does not recommend participating in the event if the result of the 3000m test in the swimming pool is a time over 70 minutes.
- The organization recommends that all the participants have an annual medical stress test/review.
- In recent years, with the popularity of outdoor and long-distance sports, sadly, the number of deaths among the participants is rising; this is why the organization insists on taking the strictest precautions.
- Please remember that the challenge insurance does not cover conditions such as heart attacks.
- Medical questionnaire
All participants must complete a questionnaire about Medical information. In the case of answering affirmatively any of the questions, to be able to participate it will be indispensable to upload the required medical certificate to the platform.
- The certificate must be completed by a qualified doctor, with signature and number of collegiate.
- It will specify the tests that the doctor has estimated that by age or risk have been carried out.
- The participant declares that all the information presented in the medical certificate is true.
- The participant declares that all information appearing on the medical certificate is accurate.
- Regulation changes
If the organization considers it to be necessary, it may change these rules. Due notice of the changes will be given to the participants. Registration implies acknowledgement and acceptance of these rules.
- Image rights
The organizing body reserves the right to use any type of photograph, film or recording that it takes, as long as it is related to participation in the event. The organizing body exclusively reserves the right over the image of the MARNATON challenges, as well as of the audio-visual, photographic and journalistic exploitation of the competition.
In accordance with the provisions of article 21 of Law 34/2002 on Information Society Services and Electronic Commerce (Servicios de la Sociedad de la Información y el Comercio Electrónico), we request your consent to carry out marketing communications which we consider may be of interest to you, by email or by any any other method of equivalent electronic communication.
Any media or marketing project will have to have the organization’s prior express consent in writing. Otherwise, all legal actions will be taken that are considered to be relevant.
- Data protection
Data protection. In compliance with the provisions of the General Ruling of Data Protection 976/2016, MM MARNATON 2008 S.L. (hereinafter referred to as MARNATON) with Tax Identification Code: B64835390, informs you that the personal data that you provided on the registration form on the website: www.marnatonedreams.com is incorporated into an automated file which MARNATON is responsible for; the purpose of this file is to administer and manage your participation in the event.
In any case, you may withdraw your consent at any given time and exercise your rights of access, rectification, cancellation and objection, by writing for this purpose to MARNATON using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.